Chuncheon, South Korea —
When we say or even think of durian in the Philippines, we always consider that smelly yet delicious fruit as my beautiful hometown Davao City’s delicacy. Speaking of which, I was born and raised in this safest city in the Philippines and would never transfer to any other cities in my home country.
In Korea, there are also some Korean cuisine that some cities and provinces are known for. Here’s a short list:
- budae jiggae (부대찌개 / army base stew) in Uijeongbu, Gyeonggi-do
- memil (메밀 / buckwheat) in Pyeongchang, Gangwon-do
- yukhoe bibimbap (육회비빔밥 / raw beef mixed with vegetables and rice) in Hampyeong, Jeollanam-do
- gwamegi (과메기 / dried saury), mul-hoe (물회 / sliced raw fish and vegetables mixed in a spicy cold broth) in Pohang, Gyeongsangbuk-do
- gopchang (곱창 / grilled intestines) in Daegu and
- last but not the least, dakgalbi (닭갈비 / spicy grilled chicken and vegetables) in Chuncheon
After our short trip to Nami Island with my family, we headed straight to this famous dakgalbi restaurant (춘천 칠전 닭갈비). It has been operating for about 30 years now and yet continue to serve the best spicy chicken dish in town. No wonder, the restaurant is always full-packed each night.
As stated by the owner, they are known for their original spicy sauce recipe that some other restaurants would want to mimic.
Apart from the authentic taste, they serve the fried rice in a unique way. First, they fry it ’til it gets a bit burnt and crispy. Then, roll it nicely and place it on to every person’s plate around the table.
The owners are also very warm and friendly. Although, they are really busy taking and serving orders, they make time to chat with their customers. According to them, they have never advertised their humble restaurant in any form. But, all from happy customers’ word of mouth.
The annual Chuncheon dakgalbi festival will run from August 23 to 28 this year.
To top off, Chuncheon Chiljeon Dakgalbi Restaurant is the best in Chuncheon City and I highly recommend this restaurant if you are visiting dakgalbi town.
- Rice and Chicken (per person) — ₩1,000 to ₩12,000
- Drinks (Softdrinks and Alcoholic Beverages) — ₩1,000 to ₩10,000
Note: This is based on our honest opinion and personal experience only.
Address: 217 Chiljeon-dong, Chuncheon-si, Gangwon-do, South Korea
Contact Number: 033-263-3288
Operating Hours: Daily 10:00 to 23:00
Direction: From Gangchon Station (Gyeongchun Line) Exit 1, cross the street and take Bus#5. Get off at Chiljeondonggogae (칠전동고개), it’s about 30-minute travel and 8 stops.