Gapyeong, South Korea —
Winter sports and snow aren’t the only things we look forward to during the freezing season. Few recreational spots hold a lighting festival annually attracting both locals and tourists. One of which is the lighting festival at the Garden of Morning Calm (아침고요수목원), recorded as the biggest in Korea. It’s located in the outskirts of Gapyeong in the province of Gyeonggi, about 2 and a half hours from Seoul Station by public transportation.
The downside points during our visit were:
- We went on a Saturday (weekend). There were A LOOOT of people. We should form in line if we want to take a picture with the giant bear and Cinderella’s carriage.
- We went in at 2 o’ clock in the afternoon. So, we waited until 6pm for the lights though they turned them on 20 minutes earlier (5:40pm). The whole garden can be roamed in 2-3 hours and that includes picture taking.
We wanted to stay longer but, we were already worn out and cold. There was nowhere to sit or rest. Cafes and restaurants were jam-packed. However, the Garden of Morning Calm is a must-visit place all year round especially during the peaks of spring and autumn. The lighting festival usually starts around early December and lasts until late March.
Address: 432, Sumogwon-ro, Gapyeong-gun, Gyeonggi-do
Website (Korean, English, Japanese): www.morningcalm.co.kr
- Weekdays & Sundays 11:00-21:00
- Saturdays & National holidays 11:00-23:00
* Lighting begins from 18:00.
- Adults 9,000 won / Weekdays 8,000 won
- Teenagers 6,500 won / Weekdays 6,000 won
- Children 5,000 won / Weekdays 5,000 won
* Children (ages 3 to elementary school student) / Teenagers (middle & high school students)
Directions: Cheongpyeong Station (Gyeonchun Line), Exit 1. Go left until you reach the 3-way intersection and turn right. Continue straight toward the Cheongpyeong Catholic Church. Pass by Cheongpyeong Elementary School, turn left, and you will see the Cheonpyeong Bus Terminal. From the terminal, take a bus bound for The Garden of Morning Calm. Alternatively, take the Gapyeong City Tour Bus.